Skip Navigation

Credit Programs for Part-time Students

Limitations on Credit Earned

You cannot enroll in a course that you have already received credit for without the prior approval of Credit Programs for Part-time Students.

If you are enrolling in a course to restore academic eligibility at a UNC institution, please be sure that the course carries credit from the institution at which you are seeking a degree.

The following additional limitations apply to degree-seeking students:

Appalachian State University

A maximum of 20 semester hours of online or correspondence course work from recognized institutions can be credited toward the requirements for graduation at Appalachian State University. Some courses are offered by the University. Before registering for a correspondence or online course offered by another accredited institution, you must have written permission of the dean of your college or your academic advisor if you have not declared a major. To obtain this permission, you’ll need to first secure the proper form from the Registrar's Office. The combined load of residence courses and correspondence or online courses cannot exceed the maximum load allowed.

East Carolina University

You can earn credit hours toward an East Carolina University undergraduate degree through extension and/or correspondence work. You can enroll in correspondence or extension courses while taking work in residence at ECU, but only with specific prior approval. A maximum of 15 percent of the total hours required for graduation is allowed through correspondence courses. You won’t receive credit for correspondence courses in your major field.

Elizabeth City State University

You can use no more than 24 hours of credit earned through correspondence or online study toward your degree. The individual departments of Elizabeth City State University have the right to determine which credits are applicable toward the degree and the amount of credit for each course taken through correspondence. You must submit a written request for approval from the chairperson of the department or division in which you have a major and from the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.

NC State University

The number of Self-paced Courses online course credits that can be applied toward a given degree is determined by individual departments and/or colleges. If you are enrolled or plan to enroll in an on-campus degree program, you should check with the appropriate academic department and obtain written approval from the department head (or departmental coordinator of advising) that the course will satisfy degree requirements.

Self-paced Courses are not intended for general use if you are currently enrolled full time in an NC State University degree program. However, you may enroll in or continue a course that you cannot complete before the beginning of a new semester or summer session if you obtain written permission from your college dean. Send this written permission to Credit Programs for Part-time Students.

UNC-Chapel Hill

If you have ever been admitted to UNC-Chapel Hill as a baccalaureate degree-seeking student, and you have not yet earned that degree (or any higher degree) but you still intend to do so, you must obtain the signature of the dean of the school or college to which you have been admitted. Space is provided on the enrollment form for this signature. Degree-seeking students at UNC-Chapel Hill will only be approved to take Self-paced Courses in exceptional circumstances.

You are required to indicate on the enrollment form whether you are a UNC-Chapel Hill degree-seeking student. This indication is subject to official verification of your status. You are also subject to special policies when withdrawing from a course (see Withdrawing from Your Course). Enrollment in Self-paced Courses is not considered to be part of any semester or summer session course load.

If you are a UNC-Chapel Hill degree-seeking student who is academically ineligible or not currently attending, you’ll need the signature of your academic advisor or dean giving you approval to enroll (see Advisor/Dean Approval Form).

If you are a student in the General College or the College of Arts and Sciences, please read the Arts and Sciences policy on taking Self-paced Courses (go to Academic Eligibility and scroll down to the section titled “Distance Learning Courses via the Friday Center for Continuing Education.” Self-paced Courses cannot be counted toward a degree in the College of Arts & Sciences unless there are exceptional circumstances. You must secure the permission of your academic dean in advance of enrolling in such courses.


If you are a currently enrolled undergraduate student pursuing a degree at UNC-Greensboro, you must have written approval from the Office of Student Academic Services prior to enrollment in any correspondence or online course. If you are an undergraduate student not currently enrolled at UNC-Greensboro, you should also consult the Office of Student Academic Services to ensure that courses will fulfill appropriate University and departmental requirements. If you are a UNC-Greensboro student, correspondence and online courses taught by UNC-Greensboro may count as residence credit.

Western Carolina University

Approval from your advisor is required for any course to be applied toward a degree at Western Carolina University. You also must take at least 30 hours of credit toward your degree in residence at Western Carolina University.

Winston-Salem State University

You can earn up to 30 hours of credit toward a degree through correspondence or online study.