Skip Navigation

Credit Programs for Part-time Students

Attendance, Grades, Transcripts, and Eligibility

Class Attendance

As a Part-time Classroom Studies student, you are obligated to have regular class attendance. You are responsible for all work, including tests and written work, and for all class meetings. No right or privilege allows you to be absent from any given number of class meetings. Instructors keep attendance records and will report students who miss three consecutive class meetings, or more classes than the instructor deems advisable, to the academic dean for appropriate action. If you have to miss a class because of other obligations, discuss your situation with your instructor.

It is the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s policy to hold classes and continue normal operations despite inclement weather. Any closings or delays will be noted on or via the Weather and Disaster Hotline (919-843-1234).


Undergraduate courses are graded on a plus-minus scale: A, B, C, D, F (A+ and D– grades are not given.) Each letter grade is assigned a numerical value called a quality point. To determine a quality point average for a semester's work, multiply the number of credit hours assigned to each course by the number of quality points assigned to the grade, add the quality points received for all courses that semester, and divide by the number of credit hours attempted in the semester. The list below shows the quality points represented by each letter grade.

A = 4.0

A– = 3.7

B+ = 3.3

B = 3.0

B– = 2.7

C+ = 2.3

C = 2.0

C– = 1.7

D+ = 1.3

D = 1.0

F = 0.0

Grades earned and credit hours attempted at other institutions are not included in the calculation of your University quality point average.

Graduate courses are graded on the following scale:

H (clear excellence)

P (entirely satisfactory)

L (low passing)

F (failed).

If you are a postbaccalaureate student registering for courses numbered 400–699, you may receive either graduate or undergraduate grades in those courses. It is your responsibility to talk with the professor at the beginning of the semester to determine the grade scale by which your work will be evaluated. The grade of D is considered equivalent to L. (See information on postbaccalaureate eligibility.)

If you are a postbaccalaureate student taking courses numbered 0-399 (which are all undergraduate courses), you will receive A-F grades. However, no academic credit will be awarded for these courses according to the following University policy:

Courses approved for undergraduate credit only (at UNC-Chapel Hill, those numbered below 400), including required prerequisite courses, will not be counted toward academic program requirements, do not count toward full-time enrollment status, will not carry either course or residence credit, and will not be entered into the student's Graduate School academic eligibility calculation.

Temporary grades may be used with either undergraduate or graduate courses to indicate that you have not completed all course work: There are three types of temporary grades: FA, AB, and IN.


means Absent from Final Examination with no possibility of passing the course, 0 quality points.


means Absent from Final Examination, 0 quality points unless excused and until the excused absence is removed. If not removed, an AB converts to a permanent F. Undergraduates have one semester to remove an excused AB. Postbaccalaureate students have one year to remove an AB.


means Work Incomplete, 0 quality points until removed. If not removed, an IN will convert to a permanent F after eight weeks from the beginning of the next regular semester (for undergraduates) OR after one year (for postbaccalaureate students).

Requesting a Transcript

To order a transcript from UNC-Chapel Hill, see Transcripts & Certifications.

Maintaining Eligibility


If you are an undergraduate, you must maintain a 2.0 GPA every semester once nine credit hours have been attempted to remain eligible.

A temporary grade of IN converts to an F eight weeks into the following semester if not removed, and a grade of AB converts to an F after one semester.


If you are a postbaccalaureate, you will be declared ineligible if you receive a single grade of F/F* or cumulative grades of D and/or L in nine or more hours of coursework in courses numbered 400 or above. Temporary grades of IN and AB convert to an F after one year if not removed.

Restoring Eligibility

To restore academic eligibility, you must raise your quality point average to the required level by taking courses during the summer at UNC-Chapel Hill, by taking Carolina Courses Online or by making up any grades of AB or IN within the prescribed time limits. Self-paced Courses may also be used under extraordinary circumstances, if approved by a dean in academic advising in the College of Arts and Sciences.

If you have been out for a semester or more and need to enroll during the summer, you must apply for readmission (see Admission).

Eligibility at UNC-Chapel Hill cannot be restored by taking academic course work at any collegiate institution other than the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Note that your advisor will need to approve the courses you plan to take to restore your eligibility.